Tuesday, April 10, 2007

octopus wrestling.


It was only a matter of time before I searched the phrase "octopus wrestling," and here is what came up. Basically, people in the northwestern US wrestled octopuses. And then they (definitely the people, maybe the octopuses) got matching buzz cuts and celebrated. So many questions: why were the octopuses in the shallow water for the wrestling? Who thought this would be a good idea? And did the octopuses ever win?

It basically defies all rational thought.

But, wait there is more:

Reel.com gives the following synopsis: Much talked-about action comedy about a young woman who falls for a giant squid who also happens to be a championship wrestler. Things go out of control when a giant octopus and lobster scheme to take over the championship for themselves.

And guess what else? It is from 2004. I have to get my hands/tentacles/swimmerettes on this, stat.

UPDATE: this film is now on the top of my netflix queue (is that okay with you, Constance?). More to follow.

NOTE: There is actually a lot of weird Japanese game show octopus wrestling stuff online. It makes me sad so I'm not showing it. I'd rather just pull the wings of flies, or microwave lizards, myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Squid Squiderson I have to object to your article. Squids are very smart and they are also very handsome, you are not though.